GENSANarium will be on hiatus for the next two years or so. For the mean time, posts subtitled as SIDE TRIPS will be featured which highlight other places and events in the Philippines. Enjoy! - Admin, 2/10/14

Friday, June 29, 2012

The Old Beggar at Overland Terminal, Kidapawan City


Since last year, I have been regularly travelling to Kabacan, North Cotabato for my master’s degree. My usual route is Gensan to Digos, then Digos to Kabacan via Bansalan, Makilala, Kidapawan and Matalam. In these bus terminals, one common sight is the presence of beggars. There were kids, blind, old people, and crippled. Though not beggars, there are other countless people claiming from certain church or philanthropic group who ask for some donations or financial support. From among these people, who I am most “touched” with is the old woman from Kidapawan City’s Overland Terminal.

“Hinabang Ma’am… Sir…” (“Ma’am, Sir, please give me alms…”) With her weary and shaky voice, the old woman would call out to busy commuters. With her guide, she would climb up every bus parked at the terminal. She would continue her chant and walked through the isle inside the bus. She would give her “Salamat Sir, Ma’am’ (Thank you Sir, Ma’am) for every coin placed on her plastic cup (or open palms sometimes).


The old woman was blind. By her saggy and wrinkled skin, her hair gray as the twilight sky, and her trudging walk, I could sense she had gone through a lot of hardships in her life. I really do not know her name or anything about her. I just saw her always roaming around the terminal with a guide. Before, her guide was a teenager girl but she had become pregnant late last year. I never saw her again. Instead, one of the vendors had become the old woman’s guide.

It breaks my heart to see her in that situation, not only her, but all the other old people who had to work hard for a living. Who knows, she might not only be supporting herself but her family as well. At times, I could not help but wonder how much she collects from all her begging for the day. Not everybody is giving her (including me, especially when all I got in my wallet is only enough for the trip). Will it suffice her needs? Just enough, barely enough, or a little more than enough?


I do not know the answer to that. I do not what is her life like, or what is life like to her. But seeing her reminds me of being thankful for what I have, to appreciate the opportunities that come my way, and to give back the blessings that I am enjoying.

1 comment:

  1. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World's #1 Social Trading Network!

    Join 1,000,000's who have already discovered better strategies for investing in Ripple.

    Learn from experienced eToro traders or copy their positions automatically!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...